Monday, October 10, 2011

Chromalicious!

When I was about 16, Sally Hansen came out with a line of "chrome" polishes that looked exactly like the hubcaps on a rappers car...or at least they did in the magazine ads, targeted to impressionable teenagers like myself. What you actually got was a lumpy, streaky, grey base with some micro-glitter thrown in. If that nail polish were capable of cognitive reasoning, it would wish to be Pure Ice's "Silver Mercedes"

I kind of missed the chrome bandwagon this summer because I had convinced myself it would be just like the old stuff, and fade out quickly like the crackle fad. So I was pleasantly surprised when my nails came out looking like they had just been covered in silver leaf.


Although I have always had a love affair with Pure Ice's brushes (long and springy, with only slight fanning), this metallic color does show all of the brush strokes. A coat of MegaShine helped even it out.

I also had some issues with clean up. Like most shimmers, my hands were left with a silver sheen to them for sometime after removal. Overall, this is still a pretty small price to pay for an awesome chrome, especially considering that it is an economy line, coming in at just over two dollars in most retail stores.


Ratings:


Application:
9 out of 10. Nice full coverage, especially for a shimmer and a light color. The brush is great as always with this brand.

Color: 9 out of 10. Chrome-chrome-chromity-chrome-chrome!

Clean-up: 5 out of 10. After I took the polish off it looked like I had just preformed open heart surgery on Edward Cullen. Shimmer everywhere!

Appearance: 7 out of 10. The color makes up for most of the flaws in this category, but the score was brought down by streaky, visible brush strokes.

Tomorrow I'm stepping outside another comfort zone and doing a blackened green!

No comments:

Post a Comment